George Popov (VIPER '21)
Degrees and Majors at Penn?
- MS & BA in Physics and Astronomy, BSE in Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, and Math Minor
- PhD Candidate in Space Engineering at Caltech
Awards and Achievements
- The Hugo Otto Wolf Memorial Prize for the greatest thoroughness and originality of work (2021)
- VIPER Outstanding Research Achievement Award (2021)
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society (2021-Present)
- Tau Beta Pi Honor Society (2020-Present)
Why did you join VAB?
- I very much enjoyed the VIPER program and starting the VSB, and I wish to remain in a position where I can help this program and its wonderful members keep growing and evolving long term.
What part of the energy industry are you most excited about?
- I am very excited about creative solutions to improve renewable sources. My current PhD project is on space based solar power and how it can power the earth, and I think it's exciting that something traditionally not very green like sending things to space can provide net positives to sustainability.
What is something that you're interested in?
- I like high power rocketry as pushing my engineering skills is fun, and it gives me a way to express some creativity outside of my traditional settings. I've also been having a blast exploring some of the natural sights I can find around me!
What is your favorite book to read?
- Icefire, it's a fun and easygoing wholesome atmosphere that I loved growing up and gives me a lot of nostalgia.