Penn is committed to being a world-leading energy and sustainability research institute. In recent years, the university has dedicated hundreds of millions of dollars into its Energy and Sustainability Initiative.
Penn has a wealth of resources devoted to energy science and technology. Find out more about energy opportunities below!
The Vagelos Laboratory for Energy Science and Technology is a new $173 million, 110,000 square feet facility slated for completion in Fall 2024. This dedicated energy research building will be the new home for VIPER and the Vagelos Institute for Energy Science and Technology. Facilities will include:
- Shared administrative space for VIPER and the Vagelos Institute
- The VIPER Lounge
- High Performance Optics Labs
- Fume-Intensive Chemistry Labs
- A Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectrometer Suite with Helium Recovery
- Student Researcher Write-up Space
The Vagelos Institute for Energy Science and Technology is a collaboration between the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences that makes Penn a world leader in energy research by promoting integrative basic research aimed at meeting the world’s present and future energy needs. VIPER collaborates with the Vagelos Institute throughout the year on various energy events!
The Kleinman Center for Energy Policy supports energy policy research in a variety of ways:
- Providing funding for Penn’s energy policy research projects (including some that VIPER students have worked on!)
- Publishing widely-referenced papers and digests on energy policy (including some written by VIPER students!)
- Hosting an energy policy podcast, workshops, lectures, and seminars
- Educating students through courses, a certificate program, and an undergraduate student seminar (which many VIPER students have been accepted into!)
- Offering professional development opportunities for students through summer fellowships and internships (which many VIPER students have landed!)
Energy Week is jam-packed with energy events from partnerships across campus! The week is hosted by the Kleinman Center and Vagelos Institute, and VIPER sits on the Energy Week Steering Committee. Learn more about the exciting events dedicated to energy!