As dual-degree students at Penn, VIPER students select two majors - one from the School of Arts and Sciences (SAS), and one from the School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS), in order to complete their two degrees.
Currently approved majors for VIPER in SAS and in SEAS include the following. Students may request for additional STEM majors to be considered for approval and must demonstrate how the proposed course plan relates to energy science and aligns with VIPER's programmatic goals. Requests will be carefully evaluated by the VIPER leadership team.
Click the links below to learn more about each major:
In the School of Arts and Sciences (SAS):
In the School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS)*:
- Computer Science (CSCI)**
- Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering (CBE)
- Materials Science & Engineering (MSE)
- Mechanical Engineering & Applied Mechanics (MEAM)
- Bioengineering (BE)
- Computer Engineering (CMPE)
- Electrical Engineering (EE)
- Systems Science and Engineering (SSE)
* VIPER students pursue the Bachelor of Science in Engineering (BSE), not a Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) in the above Engineering programs of study.
** Students who are pursuing a major combination of MATH and CIS should additionally complete 1 thermodynamics course. Currently approved thermodynamics courses include: MEAM 203, MSE 260, PHYS 230, and CHEM 222